Receive updates on our range of cultural tours via email:
NJORD TRAVEL & TOURS LTD
Languages among Njord staff:
• How do I book?
• How long can you hold a space for me?
• I need longer than seven days to make up my mind, is that a problem?
• Why is there a supplement for single travellers?
• The single supplement is for a double room for sole use - what if I want a single room?
• Where can I find the booking form?
• Can I pay the deposit over the phone?
• Can I pay in a currency other than pounds sterling?
• Why is my deposit non-refundable?
If I change my mind about this tour, can I transfer my deposit to another tour?
• How do I cancel my booking?
• How much of the total cost of the tour is forfeit?
• What if Njord Travel & Tours cancels the tour?
• How soon before departure might Njord Travel & Tours cancel a tour?
• I need an aisle seat on the plane. Can I book this through you?
• I am a vegetarian. Will this be a problem?
• I must have a bath in my room. Can you guarantee that?
• I’d like to prolong my holiday. Can I extend my hotel booking?
• I’d like to move on to a different hotel at the end of the tour. Can I do this through you?
• Can you book my flights?
• Can I change the date of my flights?
• Can I upgrade my flights?
• Can you arrange an itinerary for my extended holiday?
• Why can you not accept bookings from people aged 81 or over on your small-group tours?
• Is there a minimum age for your tours?
• What is the average age of participants on an Njord holiday?
• Does Njord arrange insurance?
• What does my insurance need to cover?
• I am a single traveller, will I be the only one in a sea of couples?
• Why don't you include all meals? I don't want to have to find a restaurant on your ‘independent’ evenings/daytimes.
• Is there a dress code on your tours?
• How do you choose your lecturers?
• Do you work with travel agents?
How do I book?
Booking can be completed directly from this homepage, every tour description page offer a 'Book Now' buttom, which after pressing will request some basic information from you. You can also book by sending the appropriate information directly by email to us. After this we wil reply with a more detailed booking form to be returned to us, and also details on how to submit the booking deposit.
I need longer than seven days to make up my mind, is that a problem?
We cannot promise to hold anything for longer than a week, but if there are plenty of spaces it may be possible. If there is a waiting list behind you, or if the date of departure is less than two months away, it may not be.
Why is there a supplement for single travellers?
In the traveller’s perfect world, everyone would be charged the same amount for their room, whether they were alone or sharing with a partner. In the hotelier’s perfect world, all rooms would cost the same, whether they had one, two, three or ten people sleeping there. The world we live in is closer to the hotelier’s vision, where rooms cost the same regardless of occupancy. Two people can split the cost of a €100 room, paying €50 each, or one person can pay the full €100. When expressed as a per person cost, this looks like a €50 supplement.
We negotiate hard with hotels, to keep single-occupancy prices as low as possible, but as long as hoteliers charge per room and not per person, this situation will endure. The only obvious alternative—having couples subsidise single travellers—strikes us as even more unfair.
Njord Travel & Tours makes no profit from the single supplement.
The single supplement says it is for a double room for sole use - what if I just want a single room?
You can request a single room which, if available, will reduce the single supplement payable. We prefer to offer doubles for sole use as much as possible though, as single rooms even in high-end hotels tend to be poky.
Where can I find the booking form?
After an initial booking request, we will send you the booking form.
Can I pay the deposit over the phone?
We are currently in the process of migrating to a new and better payment processor, which means that we are temporarely unable to accept phone or online payments. In the meanwhile we will forward you payment instructions upon receiving your booking request.
Why is my deposit non-refundable? If I change my mind about this tour, can I transfer my deposit to another tour?
Deposits cannot be refunded or transferred because there are set costs that we incur on each tour: hotel deposits, for example, have to be paid up to a year in advance of every departure.
How do I cancel my booking?
For legal reasons, we need to receive your cancellation either in writing or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
between 56 and 29 days: 40%
between 28 and 15 days: 60%
between 14 days and 3 days: 80%
within 48 hours: 100%
We take as the day of cancellation that on which we receive your written or emailed confirmation.
How soon before departure might Njord Travel & Tours cancel a tour?
Tours that fall short of the minimum number of participants may be cancelled any time up to 8 weeks before departure, but in practice it is rare for anything to be cancelled less than 3 months beforehand. We may decide to cancel a tour at any point up to the moment of departure, if going ahead would constitute an unjustifiable risk to safety.
I need an aisle seat on the plane. Can I book this through you?
We can request this through the airline, and so long as our ‘seating block’ includes enough aisle seats for everyone who wants one, it is usually fine.
I’d like to prolong my holiday. Can I extend my hotel booking?
Yes. At least, we can get a quote from the hotel. Bear in mind though that it is not unusual for hotels to offer a price better to individuals than to tour companies, especially close to departure, so you may be better off booking independently.
We can help in booking flights to and from most airports, please enquire for more information.
Can I change the date of my flights?
Yes, to a point. Airlines allow us to change the date and departure airport of either your inbound or outbound flight, but not both. We can usually get a quote within three working days.
Why can you not accept bookings from people aged 81 or over on your tours?
We know this rule is harsh and arbitrary, but it is also effective. Our itineraries are constructed with immense care, and their timings rely on all participants moving at the same, sometimes brisk, pace. Yes, many people over 81 would have no problem with the speed of our tours, just as some people under 61 would struggle. But to make exceptions in certain cases would lead to more resentment and be even more arbitrary and harsh.
What does my insurance need to cover?
We recommend that your insurance should cover, as a minimum, cancellation before the tour, hospitalisation while on tour, and repatriation in the case of severe illness or injury.
Why don't you include all meals? I don't want to have to find a restaurant on your ‘independent’ evenings/daytimes.
We find that the majority of our clients prefer to have some independent dinners. However the lecturer or tour manager will be able to assist in finding a suitable restaurant and most are more than happy to get an (optional) party together to dine on independent evenings/daytimes.
I have a complaint.
If any aspect of our tours has failed to reach the standards we set ourselves, we would like to know about it. Please contact us.